Managing Virtual Teams
In tandem with the development of information and communication technology, both personal and business relationships are increasingly being created in a virtual environment. In this environment, relationships also develop between a manager and his/her employees/team, especially in those companies which have affiliates/branches located in different cities and even countries. On the one hand, this is very convenient. We can achieve more without wasting time in transit and we can comprehend and pass on information to a larger number of people simultaneously. But, this type of communication also has many risks and challenges. Can we manage employees at a distance just as effectively as if they were present and how?
This practical training is about the types of challenges involved in managing employees at a distance and how to overcome these: how to communicate the company’s goals, processes and procedures clearly and consistently, provide accurate job tasks and monitor their performance, provide everyday support and promote employee cooperation, motivating and providing feedback even when unable to meet personally with the employee.
Target audience: Managers, whose everyday communication with employees takes place remotely.
Aim of the course: To provide participants with practical ideas and methods for effectively managing employees on a day to day basis, if it is not possible to meet.
Course duration: 1 day, 6 hours
Format of work: Interactive, practical form of work – there are lots of discussions, group work and case studies in the course.
1. Managing from a distance. How does it differ from on-site management? Special challenges in theory and practice.
2. Types and needs of virtual teams and features of managing them.
3. What does a manager have to provide for a virtual team? Tools to provide these needs.
4. Practical ideas to overcome challenges:
- How to overcome team isolation – creating and uniting teams from a distance;
- How to create trust and transparency;
- Control from a distance;
- How to help the team and individuals to reach goals: competency development, provision of feedback and features of celebrating achievement.
5. Managing and distance and technology:
- Telephone calls and teleconferences, practical tools and strategies to use.
- And other tools which can be used.
Venue: TRIVIUMS training centre, Blaumaņa 11/13 - 12, Riga
Participation fees include handouts, coffee breaks and lunch.
For company training, the programme can be adapted to the specifics and needs of the company.