The Joy of Public Speaking. WORKSHOP for Building Up Our Courage. How to Overcome Our Fear of Being in the Spotlight?
Presenting in front of an audience causes fear, worry, stress or even panic for many people, regardless of the degree of preparation that has gone into the presentation. The trembling of legs, hands or one’s voice, headaches, an inability to concentrate and similar – this affects how a presenter feels, as well as the presentation itself.
This isn’t therapy. This is a practical workshop for discussing insecurity in front of an audience. When we understand the reasons why we are insecure, we can start working on them, to change our old ideas and to start cultivating fearlessness. This encounter is the commencement of individual work for overcoming one’s fears and polishing one’s speaking style.
As part of the workshop, we will:
- analyse fears;
- learn to transform anxiety into useful excitement;
- learn calming breathing techniques;
- do physical exercises to reduce bodily tension;
- practice poise which enhances courage;
- warm up our mouths and tongues for clear diction;
- and.... we’ll talk!
To actually present – that’s the best way of overcoming insecurity in front of an audience. Therefore, participants must be prepared to speak in small groups and should have done a little homework – a concept and information for a one to two-minute talk. Enthusiasm is a good helper for practicing public speaking and therefore participants should choose a topic about which they WANT to speak.
The workshop is presented by Krista Vāvere, a trainer and consultant in media communications and conducting presentations, a journalist with more than 20 years of practical experience in news editing, working live, leading discussions and events, developing scenarios and conducting interviews. She has also received a number of awards (including for the best programme host).
Duration: 3 hours
Venue: Kanepes Culture centre, Skolas 15, Riga
Participation fee includes coffee break.
For company training, the programme can be adapted for the specifics and needs of the company.
What did you like best in this seminar?
- Practical advice, suggestions.
- Individuality, work on the stage with lighting, the presenter’s method of presentation.
- Absolutely everything.
- I became aware of my deficiencies and was encouraged in opportunities for development, was understood and inspired. Individual approach.
- The opportunity to perform and receive an evaluation and comments. Practical suggestions.
- Atmosphere and trustworthiness.
- Small group. Individual approach. Positive attitude, analysing my result.